Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The sounds of spring





Ah,  the sounds of early Spring --the mechanical fft fft fft and gush of automatic sprinkler systems.

I've bought a house in metro Austin, TX with an HOA that demands the front yard be fully sodded with thirsty turf grass. 

Why do we put acre feet of potable drinking water on turf grass in an arid area?

3.4 million people  die each year from a water borne illness
1.1 billion lack access to safe drinking water
2-3 billion people will join us on the planet in the next 40 years
Food production will have to be increased by 70% by 2050 to feed us

Nope, I can't mail my water to some unfortunate  who is drinking filth, but I can view water as a global resource and turn my back on the  English style green grass yard popularized in the 17th and 18th century by nobles in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment